About the Author John Stallcup:
As the senior marketing executive for one of the largest wine companies in the US John repositioned the largest volume wine brand in America, launched a million-case brand, and changed the flavor profile system for one of the most notorious wine brands. The past decade, John dedicated his career to working on the front lines of the wine business in tasting rooms in the Napa Valley and Paso Robles. John worked in the tasting room of one of the first growth wineries in Napa when they planned built and moved into a new state of the art tasting room. In 2017 John planned, built and launched a tasting room in a luxury resort in Paso Robles, CA. John tested all of information, tips and techniques in this book with thousands of tasting room visitors from all over the world while tasting and pouring some of the most famous California wines and some not so famous.
About: “How to Hack a Wine Tasting,
Your best wine tasting experience is just a few pages away.
Simple, proven, winery tested techniques to make your wine experience personal, easier to understand, and more fun!
1. Easily predict wine preference by asking a few simple questions.
2. Eliminate “food and wine pairing” by learning how to “flavor balance” foods.
3. Four methods to Improve your ability smell.
4. Discover the twelve different ways to sniff wine.
5. How to avoid the negative impacts of sensory adaptation.
6. The different ways sight and sound affect wine flavor.
7. How your personal genetics impacts how you experience wine
8. Understanding the difference between the taste and flavor of wine
I wrote the book so you would better understand what creates your own personal wine preferences and to provide some tools to make wine less complicated, more easily understood, and a lot more fun. The most important thing to learn about any wine is whether you like the way it tastes or not. Reading this book will help you understand why no one ever experiences a wine the same way twice and no two people have the same experience of wine even if they are drinking the same wine at the same time in the same place. Wine is a very personal experience.
You are welcome to keep coming back here to see new content. However, a better option is to subscribe to my newsletter! You will get updates on new posts and special content that is only available to my subscribers.
Hacking a wine tasting
1. Predicting Wine Preference
2. Why We drink wine
3. Sensory Adaptation
4. Mindful Wine Tasting
5. Flavor Balancing vs Wine Pairing
6. Decanting or Aerating
The Science behind wine tasting
7. Taste the Gatekeeper
8. Taste vs Flavor
9. The Nose Knows
10. How to Improve your sense of smell
11. The Eyes Have It
12. Blue Eyed Stranger
13. Touching Wine
14. Listening to Wine
15. Altitude & Wine
Things people ask about wine in tasting rooms
16. Sweetness in Wine
17. The Sommeliers Difference
18. Men Women & Wine
19. Oak in Wine
20. Where Should I Start When Tasting Wine